Back to Blog
September Highlights: Instant Bank Payments, Invoice Previews, and Multi-select Tags
In September, the Portal team focused on improvements to the Billing Module. This includes a redesigned checkout experience, support for instant Plaid Payments, Invoice Previews, and more.
We love improving the design and usability of core features. With this release, we've completely redesigned the checkout experience for your customers. On web, the new full-screen experience is easier on the eyes, requires fewer steps, and better reflects your brand's color scheme. On mobile, the experience was completely redesigned for small screens and makes better use of space.
Instant ACH Payments
With this release, clients can instantly verify their bank account and make ACH payments. To make an ACH payment, clients can select their bank, log in, and are then redirected back to your portal to complete the payment.
We understand that making the checkout experience as seamless as possible for your clients is really important. So now when you create an invoice you can toggle a Preview button to see a live preview of what the email notification and invoice will look like for your client.
Tags make it easy to keep your clients organized and save you from entering the same text again and again. When you add a tags custom field, you can create one or more options (and color-code them) and then easily select those options on a dropdown. You can update tags on the client details page or directly on the CRM table.
We completely redesigned and simplified the Customization Page (on Settings/Customization). If you're on a large screen, the right half of the page shows you a real-time preview so that you know exactly what the client experience will look like.
New Login Experience
We've redesigned all authentication screens (login, sign up, reset password, etc.). On desktop, the authentication screens now show your square icon at the top and your login image on the right. The login image has an updated square size (500x500) and, like before, can be set on the Customization page. On mobile, the UI has been redesigned as you can see below.
Improvements and fixes
- Added "biannually" billing as an option for subscriptions.
- Improved the formatting for phone number custom fields.
- Updated the invoice creation flow so that the toggles that let you specify what payment methods are allowed are hidden if you charge a client directly.
- Updated the folder download action so that it is disabled when the folder is empty.
- Fixed a bug that prevented custom field values from being cleared.
- Fixed a bug that caused some subscriptions from being canceled.
- Fixed a stability issue with the QuickBooks integration.
- Added the ability to search for tags in the CRM.
- Added a rule that prevents adding multiple tags with the same name.
- Added the ability to reorder custom fields on the client details page.
- Added support for existing shortcuts to several new places — Command + A (Select All) on custom fields, Escape (Close) for drop downs, etc.
- Fixed a number of minor UI bugs that happened when quickly creating or interacting with custom fields.
- Improved the download experience for large files. Large files are now first zipped and then downloaded and have a new animation.
- Fixed a bug that prevented some subscriptions from being cancelled.
- Improved the performance of loading image assets. Now, if you upload a large logo, login image, or other asset, when a user loads a page that contains that image asset we automatically load a version of that image that is optimized for the screen size. For some login screens, load times are >90% faster.
- Improved the design of multi-select tags.
- Added a 'Powered by Portal' badge that shows on the login screen. It can be disabled on Customization page by users on the Pro plan.
- Fixed a bug where the Files tab on the client details page didn't show the empty state (i.e. the page that shows when no files have been updated).
Share this post
Sign up for our newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive emails about important announcements, product updates, and guides relevant to your industry.